Friday, September 21, 2007

Dollar at Par

Well it's the day that online Canadian shoppers will rejoice, the Loonie is at Par with the Yankie Greenback. This will make the shopping experience cheaper for Canadians online, but it will probably not effect those who are living further north of the border or do not shop online. Why you may ask? I shall give an example: Over the next few days I doubt that the price of the dollar will effect my buying power in the local market, like buying a loaf of bread.
But I shall pass on that issue, for the one that I wish to ask and look up is that is the Canadian Dollar really gaining speed with the rest of the world or is it that we are staying the same and the yank falling in the world scale. I have noticed this more in the imported and translated text. For instance when I was first buying my manga comics, they listed 1000yen = $12.88USD since then it dropped to 1000yen = $10.00 to 1000 yen = $9.88. This may be a mistake in the translation, but what if it is not? I thought at first reading they went to the 1000 yen = $10.00USD for ease for mental conversion for the younger readers but slowly I have noticed that it is becoming out of proportion with this easy conversion.

(A few research moments later)
As of this second 1000 yen = 8.65776USD. I only used the yen for it is a conversion that I have gotten used to using every day due to my manga addiction. If memory serves me correctly, however, a few years ago the euro was very simular to the American dollar and that has pulled away to almost $1.50USD = 1 Euro.

All in stating it is food for thought,
or I might be speaking from my ass again.

No comments: